BOOKING TERMS & CONDITIONS
In-House Surf Guide arranging daily 2 trips with traditional Dhoni to North Male Surf Spots.
ADDITIONAL PAX – EXTRA BED
– The Price is for each extra bed and person to be additionally in double room.
– Transfer through local ferry system from Male daily except Friday at 15:00.
– All seperate transfers for arrival and departure have to be charged extra
– Rates are applicable to ALL markets.
– Rates may change without notice due to a USD fluctuation, a change in the Government Bed Tax, Introduction of
new Taxes, and will be advised as soon as possible. Any increase in the Government Bed Tax should be borne by
the Tour Operator.
– Cancellation before 60 days of arrival, 20% of total costs of stay.
– Cancellation within less than 60 days, 100% of total costs of stay.
– No-shows and early departures will be charged 100% cancellation fee.
All Prices are including all local taxes.
RESERVATIONS AND ENQUIRIES
– All reservations and enquiries should be made in writing, either by fax or email.
– All reservations are subject to confirmation and on availability basis.
– All booking shall be confirmed with Guest Name, Nationality, Arrival & Departure Dates, Flight No and Times.
PAYMENT & BANK DETAILS
– All Payments should be made to the designated Bank Account of Just Surf Pvt. Ltd.
– All Bookings should be paid Non-Refundable 20% of the total costs at the time of the booking confirmation and the remaining 80% should be paid at least 60 days before guest arrival.
– In the event of a booking made less than 60 days prior to arrival, 100% of the total costs should be paid on
– All Bank Charges should be paid by the Tour Operator/ Customer.
– If any discrepancy is found in our invoices, please report within 3 days from the time of invoice.
CHANGE DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR CONTROL
Except where otherwise expressly stated in these bookings, we regret we cannot accept liability or pay any compensation where the performance or prompt performance of our obligations under our contract with you is prevented or affected by or you otherwise suffer any damage, loss or expense of any nature as a result of ‘force majeure’. In these booking conditions, ‘force majeure’ means any event or circumstance which we or the supplier of the service(s) in question could not, even with all due care, foresee or avoid. Such events may include, whether actual or threatened war, riot, civil strife, terrorist activity, industrial dispute, natural disaster, adverse weather conditions, epidemics, fire and other situations which are outside our control.
IF WE CURTAIL YOUR HOLIDAY AFTER DEPARTURE
Very rarely, we may be forced by ‘force mahjeure’ to change or terminate your holiday after departure but before the scheduled end of your time away. This is extremely unlikely but if this situation does occur, we regret we will be unable to make any refunds (unless we obtain any refunds from suppliers), pay you any compensation or meet any costs or expenses you incur as a result.
Most people go on holiday for rest and relaxation, so if in our reasonable opinion or in the opinion of any airline pilot, hotel manager, tour leader or other person in authority, your behavior is causing or is likely to cause danger, upset or damage to property or is persistently affecting the enjoyment of others, we reserve the right to terminate your holiday. Should this happen no refund or compensation would be paid and we will have no further responsibility for your holiday arrangements (including any return travel).
GENERAL LIABILITY RELEASE